Founded in 1849, Friendship Cemetery was the site of the first Decoration Day in 1866, which led to the modern Memorial Day observance.
Poignant images of the mass loss of life during the Civil War are evident in Friendship Cemetery. Rows and rows of marble stones marking the final resting place of 2,194 Confederate soldiers cover the beautiful landscape.
Among the graves is a stone recognizing Mrs. Canant, Vol. Nurse, CSA. She is the only Confederate nurse officially recognized by the United States government.