Butterworth is one of only two dog-trot houses known to have survived within the current city limits. It was constructed in the 1820s. Oral tradition says that the house had once been located downtown and had been moved to its present location around 1900. The house was constructed as two 16-foot-by-16-foot log rooms with a … Continued
Type: Historic Places
Legend has it the county’s gold and silver were once stored here, but history is the real treasure in the home believed to be the oldest surviving house in north Mississippi, first built as a one-room log cabin with loft around 1818. Captain Edward Randolph, a soldier in the War of 1812, enlarged and enhanced … Continued
The Ole Homestead is a vernacular raised cottage probably constructed by Charles Abert when he moved to Columbus in 1825. It was originally two rooms over two rooms facing the Tombigbee River. In 1835 Abert sold the home to John Kirk who added an east wing facing College Street. It is the oldest building remaining … Continued
The cornerstone for the original church was set in 1863 but construction was delayed another decade due to the Civil War and reconstruction. Father Jean Baptiste Mouton, a French priest who was trained in architecture, designed the original church in Gothic style. The parish researched and planned the historic renovations for almost 10 years. The … Continued
The home is a two-story hip roof frame residence; two-tiered verandah with bracketed and chamfered columns, cornice brackets, scalloped frieze molding. This private residence is one of the many examples Columbus’ impeccably maintained and preserved historic homes, and has been featured in our annual Spring Pilgrimage.
This Classic Italianate cottage is a one-story frame that features a Tuscan-columned portico and a hip-roof side. It has been in the Hazard family since the 1930s. This private residence is one of the many examples Columbus’ impeccably maintained and preserved historic homes, and has been featured in our annual Spring Pilgrimage.
An Italianate townhouse, Baskerville Manor delights the visitor’s eye with an asymmetrical arrangement of lines and shapes, brick walls, a symmetrical tower on the side, and a plethora of porches. This home features the only standing coach house in Lowndes County.
Named after the stately Magnolia tree in the front lawn, this Greek Revival house was built in 1853. The front door opens to an oversized hallway that runs from the front door to the back of the house, a unique characteristic of the historic “double shotgun” style home. Downstairs, the study and master suite on … Continued
Located on the Mississippi University for Women campus, the gallery houses the departments of Art and Design, and Music and Theatre.
Founded in 1849, Friendship Cemetery was the site of the first Decoration Day in 1866, which led to the modern Memorial Day observance. Poignant images of the mass loss of life during the Civil War are evident in Friendship Cemetery. Rows and rows of marble stones marking the final resting place of 2,194 Confederate soldiers … Continued